Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Looking for work...

Because it seems as though I'm losing money from my back pocket, I've been looking for some work. Things are downright cheap in India, but everything starts adding up over time. $4 to sleep at the Salvation Army, $2 for dinner, $3 for a pair of pants that fall apart in a couple of days, $3 for twenty-five over sweetened street chai's, $1 for some bananas to feed the begging children, and $4 on my third pair of flip flops, because my other two were stolen. I've come across different job opportunities over the past month, such as scamming tourist shop owners and teaching Yoga in Goa, but I wouldn't feel wholesome ripping people, who rip me off and I don't know how to teach yoga. But today is different, I have a grueling job for 10 hours in a Bollywood movie, acting as a massage therapist, getting paid a a mere $40 a day, which is high for Indian standards...getting back to the bus ride from Rishikesh to Delhi...

After stopping 20 times at Indian rest stops, the bus arrived in Delhi at 5am. With a severe headache and sore throat, I pondered what I should next. Knowing that after stepping one foot off the bus, I would be attacked by touts and savages, I grabbed onto the Westerner I saw nearly get run over by the large black cow. His name was Paul and he was from the U.K. We also met a Austrian hotel owner named Wolf. We decided to share a auto rickshaw to Paharganj or otherwise known as the biggest shit hole in Delhi, where we could find a cheap crack hotel to rest our heads. I was going to take a train later on the same day to a Vipassana Mediation center outside of Delhi, but did not want to sit and get hassled at the train station for hours on end. I was already feeling extremely cranky and on the verge of shouting profanity at people, so I was willing to pay $6 for a 5 hour stay in a crap hotel. We got to Paharganj, while it was still dark out and walked down the feces covered streets of the Main Bazaar, trying to locate a cheap hotel. After stepping in a few pile of shit, we found a windowless hotel and I bid my two friends farewells. Before retreating to my room, Wolf offered me work as a Yoga instructor at his beach bungalow Hotel in Goa. Only problem is, I don't know how to teach yoga. While lying on my firm mattress, my mind began scheming. Maybe I could pull this yoga teaching thing off. We could perform the one yoga position I know well. I could tell my students, "Downward dog all hour folks..." ...I love India...to be continued...xoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's now Jan 5, and your last blog is dated Ded 23. Is everything ok? Why has it been so long since your last entry? Don't you know how important your blog is to my sanity?
I love your blog. I love you. Keep it up, damn you!
I think you should always volunteer to take up any job or other position you are interested in, completely without regard for any previous training or experience or knowledge. You are very smart and have a great personality; people want you to succeed, and you can learn on the go. The worst that can happen is that you get beat up and dismissed when they find out your were lying.
When do you take up your position as a volunteer nurse?
Keep writing, Steph!
Love always, Cliff

Anonymous said...

Your blog is still amazing how about the crossed leg sitting yoga position with a fresh SF sign "will work for food" it always goes well in the TL. Peace, Luv, and Keith