Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What is this Vipassana?

Once the bus decided to arrive, I felt sure that I would be able to get over this final hurdle without falling to the ground and pounding my fists on the ground like a two-year old child. As we waited to depart, another foreigner got on the bus and sat next to me. She was French girl, also going to the mediation center. She expressed similar frustrations with people staring at her, while she ate her banana sandwiches on the train ride from Nepal to Delhi, India. After a while we sat in silence and I peered out the window and I began hallucinating purple people, which I blame on the over exhaustion, not on the large amounts of acid I took in High school.



Finally after a bumpy ride we arrived at Dhammasota, one of the 135 meditation centers in India that teach Vipassana meditation as taught by Burmese born teacher, S.N. Goenka. Vipassana is one of India's oldest techniques of meditation that was taught by Gotama the Buddha 2500 years ago. Vipassana was lost to India, but preserved by it's neighboring country Burma, which is where Goenkaj learned the technique from Sayagyi U Ba Khin. Goenkaj reintroduced Vipassana meditation back in 1969 and the first center was built in 1974 in India. These centers have sprouted up all over the world and have helped thousands of people purify their mind. Vipassana means to see things as they really are and after 10 hours of meditation a day for 10 days, you really begin to see things as they are. You see that you're insane and belong in a psychiatric unit. These 10 day silent meditation courses can best be compared to child birth. Although I've never experienced child labor myself, I've heard of mother's who say they'll never put themselves through such pain and agony again, until they get home with their newborn and receive so much joy and happiness from their baby that within a year they're pregnant again. Similarly, I've received many benefits from the other two Vipassana courses I had taken in the past year, so without remembering how torturous it can be to focus on your respiration's for 10 hours a day for the first 4 days, I filled out the registration form at Dhammasota and schlepped my belongings to my assigned room....I love Vipassana...To be continued...xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a trip I took hallucination 365 in high school too! I imagine it enhanced my creative eye a bit. I can't wait to pick your brain about the techniques of meditation and the serenity that comes with it. Peace, Luv, and Keith